Thursday, January 19, 2012

Isaac's budget bedroom



So when we found out we were expecting baby #3, we knew we had some work to do to get our small three bedroom house ready for Isaac's arrival.  That meant finishing off part of our basement and adding a fourth bedroom for our ten year old son, Jack.  With such a gap in their ages we felt Jack needed his own "big kid" space instead of having to share with his baby brother.  It took awhile, but finally Jack moved downstairs and Isaac moved into Jack's old room.  I put Isaac's room together on a very small budget.  The only thing I bought was the bedding and a few decorative items.  It's not finished (of course) but here's a peek as it is today.


Check out that paneling!  That was one of the main things I wanted to get rid of when we bought our house but I wasn't sure how to tackle it.  It's not your usual "paneled" paneling, it's large sheets of knotty pine with a coat of varnish over it.  I didn't know how paint would take to it so I just lived with it for awhile, and eventually grew to really like it.  I think it's warm and cozy and perfect for a little boy's room.


As you can see we kept a twin bed in the room - figured it never hurts to have an extra bed!  I have some ideas for an upholstered headboard that I'll be working on.  I also plan to make some curtains in a green chevron.  I know, I know, chevron  schmevron....it's everywhere.  But it will coordinate nicely with the crib bedding and let's face it - it's fun!

There's my cutie patootie!

I found the cutest diy mobile on Etsy.  It was great because I got to do the fun part of putting it together but didn't have to do all the work of cutting out the shapes.  Plus, I can say "I made that!"


I had a stash of old embroidery hoops that I scooped up at one of the hubs' estate sales that I've had in a pile in our basement for months.  We've all seen this done before but I changed it up just a tad.  I popped a cute little dog hankie from our antique shop in one, the  little dog in the top right corner is my favorite onesie that Isaac was only able to wear a few times before he out grew it, the red bull is a t-shirt my parents brought back from a visit to my sister in Madrid years ago, and I also used some ribbon to make sort of a display board out of one of them.

The dresser came from a "pick" my mother-in-law went on years ago (she's my hubs' partner in the shop & estate sale company).  My first instinct was - paint!-  but again, I decided I just really love the wood.  The knick-knack display was given to me by my Grandma, and the AWESOME antlers were a score at one of hubs estate sales.  Those little white lamps are from Ikea probably 9 years ago.



On to the other side of the room.  The changing table/toy storage is just an Expedit turned on its side that  I use to have at my frame shop for display.



So that's about it for this little room.  Here are some of the detes.....









This portrait of baby Isaac melts my heart every time I look at it.  We had it done at Annette Barr Photography here in town.  The darling owl hat came from Etsy and the cable knit blanket was given to my oldest son by a family friend when he was born. 

Thanks so much for stopping by!  I'll be working on photos of Jack's new bedroom so hopefully I'll have that post for you sometime next week.  

Tootles,


2 comments:

  1. What a cute little boy room! I love that you used old t-shirts for the hooops. What a clever idea! And the mobile is crazy cute! What a great space for a little boy to grow up in! I am our newest follower. Thanks for linking to LINK IT UP THURSDAY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic! Love the chevron and mobile. Just perfect!! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs